More and more, our clients are seeking to extend the designs they’ve created for the rooms in their homes to their outdoor living spaces. This has led many to contact us to install one of the many sophisticated yet durable shade solutions produced by the custom awning manufacturers we partner with, including ABC Sun Control and STOBAG.
Whether you are looking for retractable or stationary canopies, vertical shades, or aluminum awnings, these custom awning systems come in many elegant, beautiful, and functional styles to create cool, comfortable outdoor spaces that protect you and your family or your guests from the elements.
For homeowners and many commercial business owners, use of a stationary awning offers less flexibility than they may want or need. Retractable awnings offer a versatile alternative that provides more control over when and where you want the sun to shine. Manufacturer ABC Sun Control offers retractable drop arm awnings that can be extended (opened) to within 15 degrees of vertical to provide maximum privacy and shading.
Atlanta & Minisol Drop Arm Awnings
ABC Sun Control produces two aluminum awning products, the Atlanta and Minisol, both retractable drop arm window awnings that make use of the same spring-loaded arm components, 43mm roller tubes, front bar, and standard tape operating systems. The Atlanta awning also incorporates an attractive extruded aluminum hood to protect the fabric and provide a more finished appearance. For smaller windows (up to a maximum width of 12 inches), ABC offers an option for a retractable, pull-tape-operated awning as well.
- Horizontal widths: 18 to 144 inches
- Projections: 18 to 40 inches (note: maximum projection for motorized Atlanta is 31″)
Minisol Vertical Drop
ABC also produces a drop awning called the Minisol Vertical Drop that uses the same components as the Minisol retractable awning, but without the arms. The hardware for all three of these awning products are available in three standard colors: White, Sand, and Bronze.
- Horizontal widths: 18 to 144 inches
- Projections: 18 to 120 inches
Mode of Operation:
Standard operation of all three ABC systems is a pull tape, which can be operated from the interior or exterior surface of the wall. At an additional cost, hand crank or motorization controls are available options.
Robusta Drop Arm Retractable Awning for Large Windows
The Robusta drop arm retractable awning is a rugged versatile awning that is intended for larger window areas on home or office buildings. Like its smaller cousins the Atlanta and Minisol, the awning has a range of operation from fully retracted to within 15 degrees of vertical when fully extended.
ABC uses durable components in the Robusta allowing the manufacturer to assemble units that can span up to 25’ or more. The Robusta comes standard with smooth German Geiger worm gear for crank operation or, optionally, can be operated by means of motorization. Other features include:
- A heavy gauge stylish aluminum hood that protects the shade fabrics and mechanisms.
- Awning frames available in 4 standard colors: White, Sand, Ivory, and Bronze.
- Standard acrylic awning fabric but can also be covered with a wide variety of screen and awning fabrics.
- Horizontal widths: 36 to 288 inches (3’ to 24’)
- Projections: 24 to 60 inches Call for pricing of larger units
- Roller Tube: 70 & 78 mm extruded aluminum slot tube with mill finish
The state-of-the-art STOBAG vertical awning gives you space to express your creativity. And the broad range of STOBAG vertical awnings offers numerous solutions for practically any application. Whether fitted with delicate wire rope guides or wind-resistant, internal fabric guidance with zip principle, thanks to the elaborate and tested STOBAG technology, modern facade shading provides optimum room temperatures and the desired level of sun protection and privacy.
Attractive and efficient vertical shades or facade shading offer many commercial applications, including:
- Glass facades
- Textile vertical shading contribute to reducing energy consumption in buildings
- Architects use its “green” aspect and often use facade shading as a design element in buildings
- Vast choice of colors and high-performance materials inspire facade planners create new shading concepts
- Tailor-made and offer a full range of options
- Use of tried and tested brand fabrics with up to 100% UV protection guarantee maximum safety and functionality
- Choice of more than 400 cover designs and thousands of color combinations
- Depending on the model, vertical awnings come with a manual crank or use a motor, which can also easily be operated via remote control or sun/wind sensors
Aluminum awnings are one of the most affordable and durable awning and canopy choices to place over windows that endure a lot of direct sunlight or to cover a patio or deck to protect outdoor spaces from sun and weather. Hartley Window Coverings is a specialist dealer for STOBAG, the Swiss manufacturer of high quality aluminum awnings for more than 50 years. Contact us to discuss installing one of their more popular awning choices from the Select series, including the Select / Ombramatic Folding Arm Awning System.
Select / Ombramatic Folding Arm Awning System
This aluminum awning system offers a compact folding arm awning, with many unique features, including:
- a hidden triangular mounting bar
- solid aluminum folding arms with integrated tension spring
- double stainless steel cables and cable protection over the center arm joint
- a rounded front rail that when retracted, gives the awning an elegant appearance and protects against the weather
- wall or soffit mounting, or the option to mount the awning system on roof rafters
- easy continuous angle adjustment that can move with the sun using an adjusting screw on the arm bearing
- optional retractable valance can be installed with up to 8’ of fabric drop for units with 11‘6” projection or less
- options to cover with acrylic fiber from the Sunbrella/Dickson collection
The Select series Ombramatic S8135 is fitted with an additional easy-running bevel gearbox allowing manual angle adjustment of both arms simultaneously by an operating handle. The adjustable hood with end stop and free wheel provide a perfect finish to the front rail and hood.
Note: Certain awning sizes require a motor. For example, the STOBAG version with a 13′ projection is fitted with special folding arms and additional arm supports and must be motor driven.